Tuesday, November 17, 2009

LIST MAKING


I have always been a list maker. I used to get teased about it. Then my youngest daughter came along. When she was a sophomore in high school she wrote out a list of whom she would be inviting to her graduation party, two years away! I was no longer teased; instead we teased her, and still do.

There is value in making lists so it's not all a laughing matter! I've known for myself at least that writing something down makes it more real. Once you have written something, it seems to "stick" better. Making lists helps to prioritize. It might be a grocery list, maybe a list of chores, a list of errands to run downtown. Once you get the list made, you can peruse it and see which items are more important or need to be done sooner than others.

Making a list enables you to "forget" about what you have written, no need to remember, just look at the list. So it is time saving and stress reducing to make lists. When you reach a certain age, your memory begins to slip a little. A little here, a little there. If you write things down, you don't have to try to remember what it was you wanted to remember! And a very nice reward for making lists is the feeling you get when you cross something off the list!

I also tend to write things down on slips of paper and then those get misplaced. Having a tablet handy to write things down and knowing that is where your list(s) live will be very helpful. I recently bought a white dry erase board to write down items that I would like to make with my hoarded supplies. Sometimes I will get a brainstorm and if I don't jot it down it flies off to foreign lands, thus the board. So far, so good.

Making lists is just another organizational tool that we can all benefit from.
~Nancy ~Garmenture~Victorian Visions by Nanalee~

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if there is a correlation between people who are hoarders and those who are list makers. My dad used to tease me incessantly about making lists, saying that I had a list of my lists! I didn't, but it would have been a good idea. I will always be a list maker. I have yet to put on paper my list of projects I want to make, as it would be too overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Well, a little secret? A spiral notebook has all kinds or room for a list of your projects. How do I know??? Guess...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you can get some pretty thick spiral notebooks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally think there is a correlation between listmaking and hoarding. Listmaking is a way of hoarding information after all. I've been a listmaker at least since college. I've still got some of the old lists, like of favorite songs, books I've read, etc.

    ReplyDelete